Khamzat Chimaev is going through hard times: "I thought I was going to die."

by   |  VIEW 75

Khamzat Chimaev is going through hard times: "I thought I was going to die."

Khamzat Chimaev’s struggle with the problems caused by the coronavirus continued into 2021 as well. After three impressive performances and the great popularity he gained during 2020, everything led to the biggest match of Khamzat’s career.

The fight with the third-ranked welterweight challenger Leon Edwards has been agreed but has also been canceled three times already. Each time, coronavirus, a disease called COVID-19, was cited as the source of the problem.

And while Edwards seems to have successfully recovered from his battle on that front, Chimaev is still feeling the consequences, so the UFC has meanwhile decided to turn to some other interesting options. And what Chimaev is going through can be seen in part in a video released by, a medium for which Khamzat’s manager Majdi Shammas described some very frightening details.

"We tried again this Tuesday. He insisted he wanted to train. We tried, but it didn't work out. It was really bad for him. He couldn't connect even two rounds. He would do one and then rest. He started coughing and feeling bad again.

"We had to cancel the training. He ended up in the hospital," Shammas recounts.

He failed to return to his hotel room

In an attempt to prepare for Edwards, with whom he was to fight on March 13, Khzamzat was at one point reportedly so exhausted that he failed to return to his hotel room.

"After training, he complained of chest pain, so we decided that he had to go for a heart examination. We went to the hospital so many times, and that's not normal in recent weeks. The other day, when he finished training on Tuesday, he couldn't even walk to his room.

He had no strength and fell asleep in the lobby. " In the video that appeared one can clearly see the situation that Shammas is talking about. Khamzat lies exhausted in the lobby of the hotel, and a little later he is shown asking to be filmed.

His symptoms allegedly became so serious that at one point he was afraid the worst could happen. "He can't train. His friends call me and say he can't even talk. He has a very high temperature, he's suffering from headaches, muscle aches, and everything ..."

"Then an ambulance came and he was transferred to the hospital. From there he called me and he thought he was going to die. The situation was very bad, "the manager described Khamzat's problems.