Vince Russo

Vince Russo is an American professional wrestling executive, manager and producer best known for his stints in the World Wrestling Federation, World Championship Wrestling and Total Nonstop Action. Russo is one of the creative minds that gave rise to D-Generation X in the late nineties. Despite his producer role, between 2000 and 2003 he wrestled a few matches and also won the WCW World Heavyweight Championship against Booker T.

In 1992 Russo was hired as a freelance journalist by WWF Magazine on recommendation from Linda McMahon and later became one of the editors using the pseudonym Vic Venom. In 1996, he moved up the ranks and joined the WWF Creative Team. In July 2002, Russo joined TNA as a writer and assistant producer on the shows. Russo stated that the name Total Nonstop Action was his idea and that the original concept was to provide a product for a more mature audience than WWE.

Jim Cornette worked together with Russo in the WWF in the 1990s and in TNA during the 2000s, regularly clashing with him over differences of various kinds, and coming to hate him intensely in recent years. Cornette has publicly criticized Russo since his exit from TNA in 2009, blaming him for leaving him due to creative differences. In March 2010, Cornette sent then-TNA executive Terry Taylor an email in which he wrote, "I want Vince Russo dead. If I can find a way to kill him without going to jail, that would be the greatest achievement of my life."

During a podcast in 2017, Cornette challenged Russo to a physical confrontation. Russo responded by having a restraining order issued against him accusing him of stalking since 1999. In response, Cornette began selling autographed copies of the restraining order on his personal website, donating the proceeds to charity. The rivalry Russo vs. Cornette was extensively discussed in episodes of the docu-series Dark Side of the Ring dedicated to the Montréal Screwjob and Brawl for All, which aired in 2019 and 2020 respectively.