Djokovic will skip Indian Wells and Miami 2022



by   |  VIEW 239

Djokovic will skip Indian Wells and Miami 2022

Through his social channels Novak Djokovic officially confirmed the news that he will not play Indian Wells 2022 and thus extinguished any doubt and alleged controversy. On social media the Serbian tennis player said: "While I was automatically listed in the BNP Paribas Open and at the Miami event, I knew it would be unlikely to be able to travel.

The CDC has confirmed that the regulations will not change, so I will not be able to play in the United States. Good luck to those who play these great tournaments," was the message spread in the late evening of Wednesday 9 March.

In the month of March, therefore, Nole will not take the court to participate in an official tennis match. It was one of the most interesting quarrels of these days, but in the end the result was the most obvious one. Djokovic will not participate also at the Miami tournament, in both the first two ATP Masters 1000 of the season and of the American tour.

The Serbian champion had been announced on the draw and started as seeded number two, but in the end the player was unable to enter the United States. It is now known that the 34-year-old has decided not to carry out the vaccine for Covid-19 and in this 2022 he risks skipping many tournaments.

The Belgrade native will miss the Californian tournament starting this week, after having missed the Australian Open and having lost a great chance in view of the Grand Slam, with important repercussions in the ATP world rankings.

In place of him, the Bulgarian tennis player Grigor Dimitrov will enter the main draw, whose position will instead be occupied by a lucky loser coming from the qualifiers. The story has again created a situation of main draw different from the traditional one: the Russian Andrey Rublev will benefit, who on paper has a fairly clear road up to the semifinals (albeit with some obstacles that should not be underestimated).

Zverev got a disqualification, but suspended for now

The German tennis player Alexander Zverev, after losing his head at the end of the Acapulco doubles match, when he hit the referee's chair several times, in addition to insulting the referee, could be on the court as early as the Indian Wells ATP Masters 1000.

The judgment on the German is suspended in the probationary period that he will have and will end on February 22, 2023, one year after the events in Acapulco. ATP Vice President for Regulations and Competitions, Miro Bratoev, said: "We have encountered aggravated behavior, in the words of the disciplinary code, but disqualification and fine will not be adopted if Zverev refrains from disrespectful or aggressive behavior, verbal abuse for one year.

or physical, towards a referee, opponent, spectator or other person during or at the end of a match. " Zverev had already been fined $ 40,000 for verbal abuse and unsportsmanlike conduct.