FIFA opened disciplinary proceedings against Argentina and Brazil

The case that has been buzzing for days has received a direct reaction from FIFA

by Sededin Dedovic
SHARE
FIFA opened disciplinary proceedings against Argentina and Brazil
© Wagner Meier / Getty Images

The International Soccer Federation (FIFA) announced today that it has opened disciplinary proceedings against the soccer associations of Argentina and Brazil following a clash between fans of the two countries at a World Cup qualifier played in Brazil at the Maracana Stadium on 21 November 2023.

The incident occurred after the playing of the national anthem, resulting in a 27-minute delay to the start of the game. The Argentine Soccer Association (AFA) was accused of fan riots and delaying the start of the match, while the Brazilian Soccer Confederation (CBF) was accused of errors in the organization of the match.

The FIFA Disciplinary Committee has decided to initiate "disciplinary proceedings against the AFA and the CBF in relation to the incidents that occurred during the FIFA World Cup qualifier between Brazil and Argentina on 21 November 2023," it said in the announcement of FIFA.

The AFA and CBF have been asked to submit their statements of defense by December 15, 2023. The governing body of soccer will then review the submissions and make a decision on potential sanctions. The incident cast a shadow over the upcoming Copa America tournament, which is scheduled to be played in the United States from June 20 to July 14, 2024.

Argentina and Brazil are expected to take part in the competition.

The players' families were in the stands

Regardless of the result, we should always strive for a better security situation for the spectators. The captain of the Argentine national team, Messi himself, said that all their attention was focused on the stands because the families of the players were also there.

FIFA called on both national associations to take all necessary measures to prevent similar incidents from happening in the future. More detailed checks of fans have been announced in certain parts of the stands where the most ardent fans gather.

We hope that this case will not go down like the similar ones so far, about which almost all of us have already forgotten. "FIFA condemns any form of violence at soccer matches and calls on both the AFA and the CBF to take all necessary measures to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future," FIFA said. It is expected that the outcome of the disciplinary proceedings will be announced in early 2024.

SHARE