Jazz players feared for their lives during charter plane incident

by   |  VIEW 87

Jazz players feared for their lives during charter plane incident

Utah Jazz guard Mike Conley has revealed that he and his teammates feared for the lives after the plane incident on Tuesday. Shortly after takeoff, Jazz's charter plane collided with a flock of birds and it caused engine fire and failure.

The Jazz were forced to urgently land and luckily they did it successfully and no one was harmed in the incident. "For a good 10 or 15 minutes, I think all of us on that flight were questioning if we were going to be here today," Conley said after Wednesday night's 111-107 road win over the Memphis Grizzlies.

"That's how serious it was for us. I can't speak for everybody, but I know that guys were trying to text family just in case, you know? It was that kind of situation." Conley wasn't the only Jazz plazer to fear for his life as fellow guard Jordan Clarkson was fearing the same.

"It got to that point where we were all on the plane like, 'This might be really the end,'" Jazz sixth man Clarkson said. "I mean, it was a crazy situation. I understand fully why Don didn't come."

Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell has a fear of flying

Hours after the emergency landing, Mitchell wasn't on the plane to Memphis and the team listed his absence as ''personal reasons.' ' "I don't know that an experience like that is just suddenly passed on and away," Jazz head coach Quin Snyder said.

"Everybody's impacted in different ways, all very significant. And it wasn't something that we were going to solve by just talking through everything, but I think it was important to acknowledge what we all went through [Tuesday], and, really, that same feeling of gratitude and appreciation for the fragility that we all live with, sometimes without being aware of it."

Also, Conley said it felt like there was an explosion on the plane. "Nobody knows. Everybody's just quiet," said Conley, who had 26 points and seven assists in the win over the Grizzlies. "It took the pilots probably five to 10 minutes, probably about 10 minutes, to go through everything, go through their checks and get back to us and let us know what was going on.

Because it was obvious that something was really wrong with the plane. "It felt like the plane was breaking apart in midair. For five or 10 minutes, it felt like complete helplessness. We're thankful it wasn't as serious as it could have been, but it was scary."