In a commanding performance, Corbin Carroll delivered a phenomenal showcase as he led the Arizona Diamondbacks to a 7-1 win over the San Francisco Giants. Hosted in Phoenix, this match concluded their two-game series on Wednesday afternoon.
Carroll's Historic Rookie Feats
Carroll not only provided four hits, scored thrice, and stole a couple of bases, but also made history. He crushed his 25th home run, making him the first-ever MLB rookie to achieve a minimum of 25 homers and 50 stolen bases within a single season.
The Diamondbacks owe much of their win to starter Merrill Kelly (12-7) as well, who impressively conceded only one run over almost seven innings, and struck out five Giants. Adding to the Diamondbacks' onslaught, Ketel Marte showcased his power with a home run.
Both Christian Walker and Gabriel Moreno stood out, contributing three hits each and securing an RBI. With five consecutive wins, Arizona is intensifying its chase for a wild-card spot. On the other side, Giants' starting pitcher Logan Webb (10-13) seemed a bit shaky, allowing three runs over six innings.
The Giants are now facing the pressure, being three games behind the Chicago Cubs in the wild card standings. Their upcoming matches are no respite either, with seven out of their remaining 10 games against the formidable National League West leaders, the Los Angeles Dodgers.
In other MLB news:
- The Houston Astros managed to cling to their lead in the American League West, thanks to Mauricio Dubon's walk-off RBI single, giving them a win over the Baltimore Orioles.
- Despite a stellar performance by Reds starter Hunter Greene, the Minnesota Twins rallied to victory against the Cincinnati Reds, inching closer to clinching the American League Central.
- The Philadelphia Phillies edged past the Atlanta Braves, with Bryson Stott's crucial double in the 10th inning being the game-changer.
- Toronto Blue Jays maintained their dominance over the New York Yankees, securing their fifth straight win.
- San Diego Padres completed a sweep against the Colorado Rockies, marking their seventh consecutive win this season.
- The Los Angeles Angels managed to break their losing streak with a victory against the Tampa Bay Rays.
- The Washington Nationals outplayed the Chicago White Sox, featuring a grand slam by Lane Thomas.
- Kansas City Royals completed a sweep against the Cleveland Guardians, with Nelson Velazquez's home run being the highlight.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates surprisingly overpowered the Chicago Cubs, thanks to Joshua Palacios' three-run homer.
- The Texas Rangers retaliated against the Boston Red Sox, turning an early deficit into a massive lead.
- The Detroit Tigers dodged a sweep from the Los Angeles Dodgers with a win.
Reese Olson's excellent pitching was instrumental in this.
- The New York Mets edged past the Miami Marlins, with Kodai Senga's strong innings and Mark Vientos' two solo homers.
- Seattle Mariners continued their dominance over the Oakland Athletics, completing a three-game sweep.
- Lastly, Milwaukee Brewers moved closer to the National League Central title with a resounding win over the St.
Louis Cardinals, with Josh Donaldson and Tyrone Taylor's homers playing pivotal roles.
• Texas Rangers Won First World Series, Beat Arizona Diamondbacks 5-0• Kevin Durant Cheers Diamondbacks' Win, Plans Chase Field Visit• Can the Diamondbacks Win the World Series? MLB Analyst Says, 'No Way They Lose!'• How Does the Arizona Diamondbacks' $116M Payroll Stack Up in Roster Talent?• Alek Thomas Optimistic: Diamondbacks Can Rally, Have Overcome Challenges Before• Diamondbacks Surpass Phillies in NLCS Odds After Game 4 Upset