Toto Wolff on his successor at Mercedes

"I've always been very open about how I felt going forward"

by Sead Dedovic
Toto Wolff on his successor at Mercedes

Toto Wolff is the man who holds a 33% stake in Mercedes. Wolff is also the Team Principal. Wolff will have no problem leaving his role as Team Principal if he sees that things are not going well. "I've always been very open about how I felt going forward," Wolff said, as quoted by "I've made a step beyond the actual employment and my role within the team of being a shareholder is a long-term decision.

I keep introspecting of how much I can contribute to the organisation, and if one day I believe that there are shortcoming in an area, be it on the sporting, technical or commercial side or in the politics, I would not hesitate for a second about appointing someone to that area of finding someone who could take over what I do.

Because as a co-shareholder, my main interest is that the team prospers and that we are winning on track. That is 90 percent of what I do and the other 10 percent is business or financial development of the company”.


Vowles, who is currently the Williams team principal, has been mentioned as Wolff's successor. Toto has a great opinion of him and does not rule out such an option in the future. However, it is difficult to predict what will happen in the near future and whether Wolff will really leave his position.

"Never say never because he is great,” Wolff said. “I hope that he is going to have a long career as team principal at Williams and hopefully we see him in the press conferences after successful weekends. He could, have a 10-year stint there.

You just need to let the bird fly out and do his own thing, and not at that stage anticipating that he is going to come back." It is hard to imagine Mercedes without it, but it is likely that this will happen in the near future. Wolff is a man who has given a lot to Mercedes and it would be interesting to see the Mercedes team without him.

Toto Wolff Mercedes